Thursday, August 17, 2006

Age Ain't Nothing But a Number

Last evening, I shook Ed Whitlock's hand and told him that he was an inspiration. For those of you who don't know who Mr. Whitlock is, he is the World Record Holder for the marathon in his age group, which is 75. At first glance, Mr. Whitlock is a petite, unassuming man. White hair, wrinkles, aged hands that shake. At second glance, his posture is upright, his muscles are strong and wiry, and his eyes articulate his thoughts. I was in awe of him. At age 75, I will be lucky if I can even walk straight, let alone, complete a marathon.

I think about age and how we as humans are always trying to defy age. We buy wrinkle creams, sports cars, or even ditzy blondes to feel "younger". We live in a society that is constantly trying to define what is socially acceptable for our age or not. I hear people say, "You better get married soon.. Time is running out!"

What are we exactly running from? Death?

I guess I think that it's just funny how people are constantly judging one another behaviours that are not quite "right for their age". Myself included. I teach kids and, at times, I hear myself say, "Can you PLEASE act your age?!"

Age can be so inconspicuous. You can vote at 18 and buy alcohol one year later. You can drive at age 16. You must officially retire at age 65. But you can conceive a child as early as age 9..

I don't think it's rude when people ask me how old I am, but when I do tell them, I can literally hear their brain pause as they automatically assess me.

No comments: