Thursday, August 10, 2006

Supersized

Next year in the province of Ontario, every elementary school has been mandated by the government to have "Daily Physical Activity" of 20 minutes. This is in response to the latest statistical findings that kids today are becoming obese. Hello!!! Um, isn't that obvious??

Although I am an optimist and I believe that the implementation of DPA will have positive benefits, I can't believe that the government honestly thinks that mandating 20 minutes of DPA will solve the upcoming obesity epidemic. Yes, I said it. Epidemic. Childhood obesity is becoming so severe that it is being called an epidemic. In fact, the American Medical Association states that today's children will be the first generation of kids that may have their parents OUTLIVE them. That is outrageous and completely alarming. You know there's something wrong when you read in the papers that there are more obese people in this world than starving people..

Whoa, I think I've gone off on a tangent... let me refocus.. Ok, back to DPA. The thing that bugs me is that the responsibility is being put on the education system to get kids into shape. Don't get me wrong, I think DPA is a great idea but the responsibility is being taken AWAY from parents and being put on educators. I know that I certainly have a role in making sure that a child learns proper nutrition and engaging them in physical activity.. BUT when I see a child munching away on McDonald's once a week because their mom/dad dropped it off at lunchtime. Or when Emily brings a note from home saying that "she shouldn't do the endurance run because of her asthma", when Monika can't even complete a single lap without walking, or when Robert tells me that he spend a minimum of 3 hours a night playing video games or chatting on the computer... I get SO frustrated and wonder, "NO WONDER YOU'RE FAT!" I think parents of obese children should be charged with neglect. Fat kids are fat because of inactivity and poor habits that started at infancy. It is the parent's responsibility to get their kids active and teach them proper nutrition from the start. It is my responsibility to work with parents (not against) and at times I feel like I have to educate the parents as well.. It is my responsibility to teach and encourage kids how to have fun while being active in the hopes that they will become lifelong learners.
So, here's to Daily Physical Activity. No, I'm not an exercise freak, I'm simply hoping that the next generation can learn from our healthy habits and strong commitment to our bodies.

1 comment:

fs said...

Kids are getting obese? Well I think it's true, but it may not be as obvious to everyone. I don't recall seeing many fat kids at church but I guess it's less common among Asians. As a teacher, you must be more aware of it than most. For what it's worth, I agree with you. I didn't realize that the problem had gotten so severe in Canada as well. (I'm sure it's worse in the USA).