Friday, September 29, 2006

Tribute to Terry

Today was my school's annual Terry Fox Run. Schools all over the country participated in the largest national fundraiser in the world. For 30 minutes, over 500 staff and students ran, jogged, or walked in honour of Terry Fox and to continue the legacy that he started 30 years ago. In my mind (and many others), Terry is THE greatest Canadian hero ever. He tirelessly and selflessly ran a marathon EVERY day for 143 days straight. Unfortunately, he had to stop because the cancer had spread to his lungs and he was physically forced to quit because of exhaustion.

Today, Terry's dream is coming true. If Terry was alive today, his cancer probably would have been beaten due to the funds that his foundation has raised towards cancer research.

Pessimists say that it's impossible for one person to make a difference in this world. Every day, I teach my students to wonder, to hope, to dream, to achieve.

My kids believe that they CAN make a difference.

Thanks to Terry.

4 comments:

shellz said...

Wow! I can't believe he ran a marathon EVERYDAY for 28 days. That is truly amazing!

Anonymous said...

Hey Delia! I just read this blog. I remember watching Terry Fox when I was a kid. Amazing story. BTW, when you say that his cancer would have been beaten today were you just guessing or do you have some info about that? All I know is that osteosarcoma is still a really bad cancer causing many deaths, but can be cured by surgery in many cases. Doesn't change the fact that what Terry did was incredible and important...

delirious said...

Yes, indeed. I read a story about a teengage girl diagnosed with osteosarcoma but was able to overcome and beat it and she is now living a healthy life.

Melissa said...

In general, I think the person who introduced me to the whole blogging phenomenon with enthusiasm and energy needs to re-examine her own blogging tencencies.